Southern Piedmont Woodturners (SPW) is a 501(c)3 non-profit, educational Chapter of the American Association of Woodturners (AAW).
We meet on the 3rd Tuesday of the month (except December) - from 6:30pm to 9:00pm - at the ClearWater Artist Studios & Gallery [223 Crowell Dr. NW] Concord North Carolina.
We host a woodturning demonstration each month (except July). We welcome guests with the hope they will want to become a member.
Here is a list of upcoming events and additional information so please mark your calendars and stay tuned for additional communications. Please put these dates on your calendar.
Upcoming 2017 Events - click on the DATE for these events to obtain additional information.
- April 18: Rick Erkes will be sharing what he has learned in almost 20 years of turning.
- May 6th – 7th:Weekend Workshop with Dennis Fuge
This is a members only event. If you are not currently a member, you can join the day of the event.
Saturday, May 6th Demonstration - Dennis Fuge from Erwinna Pennsylvania will be at our studio to do an all day demonstration on Saturday, May 6th. He will demonstrate ‘Decorative Platters’ which will cover the many ideas that are possible with platters which he has learned over his 40 years of turning, both the design and decoration. Dennis will also include elements from his class ‘Look at Me I’m an Artistic Feature’ which will incorporate resins and metals to make your woodturning POP. The session will begin at 8:30 and will be over at 5:00. The studio will be opened at 8:00 am. There is no charge for this demonstration. Bring your lunch or we can order something in. Pictures of platter work that Dennis has done are included below.
Sunday, May 7th Workshop - On Sunday, May 7th Dennis will conduct a hands-on workshop on making decorative platters which can accommodate no more than 10 people. The cost for this workshop will be $75 per person. For this workshop, you will need to bring:
# Protective clothing and safety equipment
# A piece of wood size 12” x 12” x 1. Preferably, maple, black walnut, cherry beech or oak. If you don’t have wood, Dennis will have blanks available that can be purchased at cost.
# Tools if you have them; otherwise we have some available at the studio.
# Please reply by email and advise of any sessions you will attend.
Demonstration on Saturday, May 6th
Workshop on Sunday, May 7
Learn more about Dennis at http://www.timeforyou.net/artists-life/
- May 13:Open Studio: 10:00 am – 4:00 pm Take this opportunity to come out to the studio to mentor or learn from others. The other Clearwater Artist Studios will be opened so the public will be coming in during the day. This is a great opportunity to speak with visitors, talk about what we do and invite them to come out to a meeting.
- May 16:Regular Meeting: 6:30 pm – 9:00 pm with Beth Woody as our guest turner. Beth will be sharing the art of marquetry with us and how it can be incorporated in our wood turnings
- Business meeting to elect officers
Congratulations Jack for your AAW STALWART recognition award !!!
The Southern Piedmont Woodturners, Inc. is supported in part by a grant from
the Grassroots Arts Program of the North Carolina Arts Council, a state agency, and the
Cabarrus Arts Council.